The Ever-Loving Virgin Prince

Being the adventures of a hard-drinking, chain-smoking, dashing man about town, aspiring gonzo-journalist and mystery-man.
Google
The Web TheVirginPrince.Blogspot

Thursday, July 07, 2005

This Post Dedicated To Frank Gorshin

My fine-feathered finks,

Oh, I’ve put this off for far too long.

I come here not to bury Frank Gorshin, but to praise him.

Being that I am a most beloved crime-fighter and mystery-man, it is clear to me as night and day that I would be absolutely remiss in my duty if I didn’t make some sort of mention of Frank Gorshin’s passing. Nay, I would be remiss in my duty if I didn’t indeed praise him.

I was made aware of the great Frank Gorshin’s passing during a recent visit to my father, though you heard nothing of it as it was during the month in which I didn’t write. I had been traveling northward to help my father after a semi-recent surgery when I came across a most disturbing headline: famed performer and television’s great Riddler was dead. I immediately yelped with dismay at the news; not my beloved Frank Gorshin! I’m still mourning the loss of Jonathan Harris, not to mention Roddy McDowall and Tony Randall. I just know Don Knotts is next. How will I ever survive the loss of the incredible Mr. Limpet?

But I must say I truly enjoyed Frank Gorshin as much as any person can enjoy a great performer. He was actor, singer, impressionist, and comedian, and with the wide range and superb quality of his work, even such regrettable films as The Meteor Man are forgivable. It was, without question, Frank Gorshin who gave so much to the role of The Riddler; Frank Gorshin who fleshed out the character enough to elevate The Riddler from a generic second banana to one of The Batman’s most beloved and enduring rogues. Even the combined malevolent and mediocre forces of Joel Schumacher and Jim Carrey couldn’t ruin The Riddler once Frank Gorshin had done his magic. Even the great John Astin, who truly brought the role of Gomez Addams to life, couldn’t do much more than present The Riddler as little more than a forgettable foe. But Frank Gorshin made The Riddler great; Frank Gorshin made him my favorite.

As a sort of tribute, click this LINK and give it a listen. It’s been out of print for years so I don’t think I’m breaking any rules by posting it here, but it’s a little number, tastefully written by Mel Torme, which really showcases just why Frank Gorshin is as cool as he is.

Rest well, Frank Gorshin. For you I wear the green and purple.

Be seeing you,
The Virgin Prince
The Virgin Prince, 7:17 PM
Blog Search Engine -Search Engine and Directory of blogs. Looking for blogs? Find them on BlogSearchEngine.com